19.10.06


If I forget thee, O Jerusalem,

let my right hand forget her cunning.

If I do not remember thee,

let my tongue cleave to the roof of my mouth;

if I prefer not Jerusalem above my chief joy.

Psalms 137

Human experience is a public ownership. It is not owned by a person or a group. So I find no harm quoting the Psalms referring the hebrews of the Babylonian exodus, because we too feel an exodus being barred from a city we identify with so much. We might not have gone as far away as Babylon, from our roof tops, we can still see Jerusalem, yet we are not able to reach it.
It seems, though, that not all the men or walls of this earth can stop us from getting there. people did wonders to get to Jerusalem on yesterday evening for "Leilat Al-Qadr", supposed to be one of the holiest nights in Islamic tradition. They are likely to be just as keen to make the trip tomorrow, being the last Friday of their holy month.
Of course, these people are not queing for their love of climbing. For Israel has barred Palestinians aged less than 45 from entering Jerusalem for prayers.
You can tell that the security argument for the wall has faltered, for if it was so easily climbed by so many people then it has proved that its primary goal is to set up a unilateral border.
It is also very important to note that none of these guys climbing the wall, went on, after his prayer to blow himself up with some Israelis. This wall is not for security, it is for apartheid.


No comments: